HOW IT WORKS
All staff and students of the respective facilities can use the pool bikes parked at our Community Bike stands at Castle Mill, Lady Margaret Hall, Summertown House, and Zoology.
- You will need to agree to our Terms & Conditions and sign up to our online booking system in order to use the bikes. You can do that through the following links for Castle Mill, Lady Margaret Hall, Summertown House, and Zoology.
- Once you sign up you will have access to any of our available city cruiser bikes. These are great bikes, by the way, known for their convenient self-powered lights. In other words, the lights are powered by the front-wheel dynamo hub every time you ride. This makes them safe to ride under any condition, rain or sunshine, through fog or clear skies, day or night. It also means you will never have to think about getting attachment lights or worry about them getting stolen.
- The large bikes are ideal if you are between 173 cm and 189 cm (between 5.6ft and 6.2ft). The smaller bikes are ideal if you are between 154cm to 173cm (between 5ft and 5.6ft). For either type of bike, you can easily adjust the seat height without any tools by using the quick-release saddle clamp.
- You can only use bikes which you have booked in advance over our system! Just book your bike for as long as you need it and you are all set. You can book the bikes on your smart phones. So if you have not booked a bike in advance you can still do so just when you need it. You can even book it as you walk up to the bikes. However, there is a risk that the bikes will have been booked by someone else.
- Please never take any of the Community Bikes unless you have a booking for it!
- After booking a bike, you will receive a confirmation email with the number code for the lock of your bike.
- At the time of your booking, go to the respective Community Bike stands and find the bike you booked. The bikes are colour-coded and marked with stickers with their colour and number, and should be parked at the bike stand with a sticker in their colour on it. (For example, if you booked the Purple Bike at Castle Mill, it will have a purple sticker and a sticker with the number 8 on it, and should be parked at a bike stand marked by a purple sticker.)
- At the end of your booking period, please return the bike to the Community Bike stands you got it from and lock it up at the stand with the matching sticker.
- Please make sure that you plan for enough time for your trip when booking and return the bike before the end of your booking period.
- Cycling is not as dangerous as driving, but you do have to be careful, especially around cars! Please carefully read the Safety Information.